Millers Creek Mine Extension Approved with Conditions
Environment Minister Sterling Belliveau has approved the Miller's Creek Mine Extension, today, Feb. 4, with some conditions.
CGC Inc. - Fundy Gypsum has received approval for the project subject to conditions to protect the environment, including limiting the size of the extension to about 105 hectares. The company had proposed to develop 347 hectares.
The decision also includes conditions such as:
- extensive monitoring of surface and groundwater
- developing a wetland compensation plan
- establishing a community liaison committee
- legally protecting a 46-hectare conservation area within four years
- creating a program to monitor rare plants in the conservation area
- developing a plan to reclaim the land affected by the mining operation
- creating a protection plan to protect plant species
- studying the area to gather information on local bats
- creating a plan to fully protect places in the area where bats may go
The minister's decision and the conditions of the environmental assessment approval are on the Department of Environment's website at www.gov.ns.ca/nse/ea